Please check ahead for all events in case of cancellations.
• Monthly: UMass Landscape Message
• TickTalk is Back!
DATE: the 2nd Wed. of the month @ 12noon
WHERE: Lenox Memorial School, 197 East St, Lenox, MA 01240
Starting in February, we will hear from Dr. Stephen Rich and the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology (LMZ) every month! This FREE series is brought to you by the UMass Laboratory of Medical Zoology and UMass Extension. TickTalk in 2020 will also feature exciting guest speakers on tick topics that you told us were important to YOU. The series will include seasonality and life stages of ticks (key to planning intervention and prevention), emerging or invasive tick species, how ticks use vegetation and leaf litter throughout their life cycle, increasing fears of Alpha-gal allergies (allergies to certain meat and animal-related products), dispelling myths of tick control, and many more. Mosquito concerns, including life cycle, behavior, and EEE infection, will also be addressed and Dr. Rich will discuss the tens of thousands of mosquitoes the LMZ tests each year for a range of viruses.
Pre-registration is required for joining this webinar. For more information visit TickReport.
• Oct. 25 - Dec. 15 - UMass - Green School Begins!
Tues. - Thurs., 1 - 4:30 pm - Online
UMass Extension's Green School is a comprehensive 60+ hour certificate short course that offers fundamental horticultural training in a compact time frame. The program is designed for professional practitioners such as landscapers, lawn care providers, nursery operators, public and private grounds managers, arborists, professional gardeners, landscape and garden designers, industry sales and support professionals, and others in the green industries.
Link for info: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/events/green-school-begins
• Nov. 29-Dec. 20 - BBG - Plant Healthcare
Level I Certificate in Horticulture Class
Tuesdays, 5:30 - 8:30 pm
Led by Ken Gooch, this program focuses on factors that affect plant health care, including insects, diseases, pathogens, and abiotic influences. Basic diagnostic techniques will be taught. Learn to minimize potential problems through proper site preparation, plant selection and placement. Managing problems using biological, chemical and cultural techniques will be discussed with a focus on integrated pest management.
$215 non-members / $185 members
Link for info: https://www.berkshirebotanical.org/events/plant-healthcare-0
• Jan 25, Feb 8, 22, 2023 - UMass - Invasive Insect Webinar Series
Wed. 9 am - 11:45 pm Live via GotoWebinar UMass Extension’s Landscape, Nursery, and Urban Forestry Program and UMass Extension’s Fruit Program presents a series of FREE webinars focusing on the impact, monitoring, and management of invasive insects in Massachusetts and the nation!
Link for info: https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/education-events/invasive-insect-webinars
• March 15-18 - BBG - Great Gardens of Houston
with Classical Excursions
Join BBG and Classical Excursions as we explore the great gardens of the Houston Texas. Sample itinerary is fourth-coming. All registrations are processed by Classical Excursions. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link for info: https://www.berkshirebotanical.org/events/great-gardens-houston
• March 24-26 - Capital Region Flower & Garden Expo
Hudson Valley Community College, Troy, NY
Make your plans to visit - tickets on sale now
Link for info: https://flowerandgardenexpo.com
• May 11, 2023 - NCNC - 6th Annual
Lecture & Luncheon
11 am - 2 pm at The Country Club of New Canaan
We invite you to join us at the Fifth Annual Lecture & Luncheon to benefit the New Canaan Nature Center. This year's Lecture & Luncheon will feature Christopher Spitzmiller & Ashley Whittaker. Christopher Spitzmiller just published his first book, he treats readers to a full year at his country retreat, Clove Brook Farm. He is also known to his many friends and Instagram fans as the ultimate weekend farmer, who raises his own chicks, grows his own flowers, and makes his own jam, cider, and honey. Ashley Whittaker's work is distinctively classic and sophisticated, but also inviting and warm. Dubbed a neo-traditionalist, she fearlessly marries adventurous colors and patterns in rooms yet still manages to retain a sense of elegance and restraint. In The Well-Loved House, she shares a selection of dwellings, from gracious Connecticut estates to chic Manhattan pieds-a-terre to waterfront beach houses on the Florida coast, most exclusively photographed for this book, including her own house never before seen. The event will take place at The Country Club of New Canaan.
Link for info: https://newcanaannature.org/events/#Lecture-Luncheon
• May 23, 2023 - Trade Secrets
a beautiful gathering for a great cause
Lime Rock Park, CT
Plans are underway for May 2023 - volunteer or plan to attend!
Link for info: https://www.tradesecretsct.com
• Sept 9-16 - BBG - The New European Garden: Holland
with Classical Excursions
Join BBG and Classical Excursions as we explore the great gardens of the Netherlands. Sample itinerary is fourth-coming. All registrations are processed by Classical Excursions. Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Link for info: https://www.berkshirebotanical.org/events/new-european-garden-holland
• InsectXaminer from UMass Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment
Description: The InsectXaminer short video series hopes to increase the visibility of the beautiful world of insects, even those we consider to be pests in our managed landscapes. InsectXaminer will showcase the complexity of insect life cycles, cataloging as many life stages for each species as possible. The goal of this series is to provide professionals and land managers with footage that is helpful for learning the identification of insects throughout the season, rather than at any single point in their life cycle. Proper identification is key to successful management. If possible and caught on camera, important aspects of their biology and natural enemies will be revealed.
Follow this LINK
• BBG Virtual Learning
The Berkshire Botanical Garden offers several virtual learning opportunities for children, families, and beginning gardeners. See their offerings HERE
• NYBG At Home
New York Botanical Garden has a wide range of virtual events, plants guides, videos, and online courses. See the full list at NYBG-at-home.
Visit area organizations for more offerings.
• ASLA- American Society of Landscape Gardeners - ctasla.org -
• BBG - Berkshire Botanical Garden - berkshirebotanical.org
• Capital District Garden & Flower Show - https://flowerandgardenexpo.com
• Cary Institute - Cary Institute of Ecosystem Studies - www.caryinstitute.org
• CACIWC - Connecticut Association of Conservation & Inland Wetlands Commissions - www.caciwc.org
• CIPWG - Connecticut Invasive Plant Working Group: www.cipwg.uconn.edu
• Cornell Cooperative Extension - for information contact 518-272-4210
• CT NOFA - Northeast Organic Farming Association of Connecticut - ctnofa.org - 203-308-2584
• GBC - Greenwich Botanical Center - https://greenwichbotanicalcenter.org - 203-869-9242
• Hollister House Garden, 300 Nettleton Hollow Rd., Washington, Ct 06793 - 860-868-2200 - hollisterhousegarden.org
• Mad Gardeners - madgardeners.org
• Nature’s Voice - White Memorial Conservation Center's outreach show about everything Nature. Every Sunday at 2pm on WAPJ 89.9 & 105.1 FM Torrington Community Radio
• NCNC - New Canaan Nature Center, 144 Oenoke Ridge, New Canaan, CT 06840 - 203-966-9577 - www.NewCanaanNature.org
• NPT - New England Wild Flower Society - now Native Plant Trust, 351 Longwood Rd, Kennett Square, PA 19348 - https://www.publicgardens.org
• Trade Secrets Rare Plant & Garden Antiques annual event to benefit Women's Support Services - www.tradesecretsct.com
• UConn Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Program: www.ipm.uconn.edu
• UConn College of Agriculture, Health & Natural Resources - www.uconn.edu -
• UMass - University of Massachusetts Landscape, Nursery and Urban Forestry Program - French Hall, 230 Stockbridge Rd., Amherst, MA 01003 - 413 - 545-0895 - https://ag.umass.edu/
- Upcoming Programs & Events
- Garden Calendar
- Landscape Message
Mailing Address: PO Box 146, Sherman, CT 06784-0146
Copyright © 2020 Mad Gardeners. All rights reserved.